Friday 1 July 2011

Is this just too juvenile?

A frivolous little question to start the ball rolling. I've been playing a game called Runic Drops (http://www.freearcade.com/RunicDrops.flash/RunicDrops.html) moderately obsessively for quite a few months, and yesterday I finally managed to get to the top of the all-time high scores list, after several near misses and much frustration and grinding of teeth. I was, I have to say, quite pleased with my achievement. But should a fifty-something man even be playing computer games, still less punching the air at having proved himself as being more adept at wasting valuable time by playing the game for longer in one session than anyone else in the world? I think a bit of mindless 'down time' is a good way of unwinding, but others might say that my time could have been used much more constructively. What do you think?

Best wishes
Querent

1 comment:

  1. Hi there, Querent

    It's almost certainly true that your time could have been used for something with more immediate purpose or benefit to you or others. However, I think most people have a limit to the time that they can spend continuously on any particular activity, however beneficial it might be, and a change of activity is necessary and healthy. I would also expect that there's some detectable psychological benefit in succeeding in a challenge, such as winning a game like this, even if the outcome has no direct influence on the rest of one's life.

    So I think I've answered 'Yes' to both parts of that question: you could have used the time more constructively, but the "down time" is necessary and constructive in its own way.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete